Tuesday, January 6, 2009

January 6, 2009 - Winter Comfort Foods


I love a good stew, soup, or chili in the depths of winter. And I make a big batch to freeze and get me through the long cold months. I was watching the CBS Morning Show and they had a segment on Ultimate Winter Comfort Foods by Sheila Lukins, writer of one of my favorite cookbooks the "Silver Palate." The link has recipes from her new book "Ten: All the Foods We Love and 10 Perfect Recipes for Each." You can get recipes for Chickpea Stew, Minty Lamb Kabobs, Chicken Tangine with Eggplant Tomatoes and Onions, and Red Carrot Ginger Soup at the link above.

I just made this Spicy Black Bean Soup from the Oprah's web site (pictured above). I added more spices I had on hand and it came out great. Try adding some chili powder, cumin, and some powdered chipotle pepper (I use Chipotle Ground Red from Penzeys Spices), and a touch of cinammon. Another great one I got from a friend is Curried Sweet Potato Soup from Epicurious. Check out the reviews for some additional spice suggestions. My friend added some sauteed garlic and onion in some olive oil, more broth, one teaspoon of curry, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, ginger and tumeric. And feel free to use canned vege broth. Very good. There's a Curried Pumpkin Soup on Epicuious too but it looks a little more complicated. I haven't tried it yet but I love pumpkin.

The same friend also gave me a recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Rosemary and Garlic Lasagna. I haven't tried this yet but she loved it. I'll let you know my review and the recipe when I make it this week.

I'm also looking for the ultimate squash and apple soup recipe if you have any suggestions. When I was in Chicago we had the most wonderful soup at a Atwood Cafe and we vowed to find something similar. The first spoonful was as good as the last, not to mention some incredible croutons on top. Keep warm inside and out. m

No comments: