Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March 4, 2009 - Happy Birthday



This is my mom. She turned 79 today. I believe this is her graduation photo from Union City, Ohio. Union City's an unusual town because half of is in Indiana and half in Ohio. Which makes it  really strange when Indiana doesn't change to daylight savings time and Ohio does. Or something like that. My mom grew up on a farm on the Ohio side. I have many good memories of that farm—chasing the little baby pigs around the barn, walking over to the "park" that my grandpa kept for church group picnics and family reunions, crossing the rickety bridge on the way, the swans chasing us in a rowboat on the small pond.

Mom was born in 1930 during the Great Depression. Makes you wonder how things compare to today. I just talked to her in Florida. She's doing fine. She said she doesn't feel like she's that old and doesn't recognize herself when she looks in the mirror. "I look old!" Mom's definitely a survivor. She's been through a lot in her life but she keeps going. I wish her the very best on this special day. m

1 comment:

nicole. said...

Happy Birthday Grandma and GG! I love this picture of her. She looks like a "star"!